The High Court has heard today that jailed ex billionaire businessman Sean Quinn Snr is dropping his legal team. Mr. Quinn is currently serving a nine-week sentence for contempt of court, the orders were put in place to stop Quinn from moving assets outside the reach of IBRC.
Quinn made the announcement to his solicitor when he had a recent visit within the past two weeks.
A formal application for the lawyers to come off record will be made on Monday but Judge Elizabeth Dunne acknowledged there may be practical difficulties because Mr Quinn is in custody.
The Irish Times reported, Barrister Maddie Grant, who had represented Seán Quinn in court before he was sentenced to a nine-week term, told the court on Tuesday that she had been told her services and those of her father, Eugene Grant QC, were no longer required. The solicitor briefing the Grants was Kevin Winters in Belfast. Grant told the court she would be bringing a motion to come off record in the case. Another barrister, Ross Aylward, told the court that he and a new firm of solicitors would be coming on record for Quinn’s five children and three of their spouses.
The Irish Examiner reported, A formal application for the lawyers to come off record will be made on Monday but Judge Elizabeth Dunne acknowledged there may be practical difficulties because Mr Quinn is in custody. She suggested that a letter outlining his consent to the move may be required. Meanwhile the court heard the rest of the Quinn family, with the exception of Peter Darragh Quinn, have hired new lawyers who need time to review the contempt case.
On Tuesday Mr Justice Peter Kelly allowed one more week for them to get the legal representation organised.